20 February 2017: A scoping workshop has been conducted as part of the next stage of the Orica-CRC ORE partnership. ORICA personnel visited CRC ORE’s Brisbane office recently to map out partnership activities in detail.
This article was published in CRC ORE News - February 2017
Orica-CRC ORE Partnership gears up
|Orica's Stephen Boyce, Global Technology Manager - Mining Applications presenting at CRC ORE's 2016 Annual Assembly
Key technical challenges in Differential Blasting are being tackled in a collaboration between Orica and CRC ORE. ORICA’s fragmentation modelling capabilities and high and low energy bulk products, have the potential to significantly enhance the outcomes of Differential Blasting.
This builds on the suite of concepts in Differential Blasting developed by CRC ORE to evaluate the impact of inducing metal deportment by partitioning grade into different size fractions. Work has focused on value generation through the use of simple fragmentation curves and in-situ heterogeneity characteristics.
A scoping workshop has been conducted as part of the next stage of the Orica-CRC ORE partnership. ORICA personnel visited CRC ORE’s Brisbane office recently to map out partnership activities in detail. The partnership has eight discrete work packages:
- Assess the impact of explosive products on fragmentation distributions achievable.
- Understand the energy distribution and interaction between holes with different energy intensities.
- Quantification of drill pattern designs on fragmentation.
- Define the influence of timing on fragmentation.
- Assess the impact of generating high proportion of fines in ROM and creating a SAG bypass stream.
- Quantify blasting cost structure changes related to different differential blasting scenarios.
- Conduct integrated evaluation of natural and induced deportment taking into account outcomes from activities 1-6.
- Develop a detailed plan for conducting an integrated and instrumented differential blasting trial.
ORICA is a foundation member and Essential Participant of CRC ORE. Outcomes of this partnership are directly relevant to CRC ORE Delivery Theme activities and will feed directly into a number of site based pilot studies.